I was informed a while back that my blog feeds weren't propagating to various RSS readers. I think most of my September posts were affected. Travel and other obligations sort of made me put off dealing with what was broken underneath.
It's not like I have an IT staff to go figure that stuff out :)
You have to understand that I spend almost all my blogging effort on trying to create interesting content, and almost no effort whatsoever on the blogging platform, statistics, syndication, search optimization and so forth.
Well, I had an hour to myself, and decided to dive in and diagnose the problem.
Way back when, I told TypePad (my blogging platform) to publish full articles to Google's Feedburner, which ostensibly feeds the majority of RSS readers out there. After a bit of digging around in a Feedburner account that I had set up over five years ago (!), I was enlightened as to what my problem might be.
My posts were too big -- both individually, and in aggregate. In a world of short, pithy commentary, that felt a bit - well -- embarassing.
However, I was able to correct the problem, and salvage a bit of self-respect in the process. I told TypePad to just publish short excerpts to RSS, and -- voila! -- the problem appears to be cured. During the process, I discovered I have a *lot* more readers than appears on the traditional blog hit counter. That was a pleasant surprise ...
Regardless, I apologize for the RSS flood that might be appearing in your readers right now.
I'll endeavor to keep myself more concise, and to the point :)