Some of the more fascinating news to come out of EMC World today is the formation of an industry-wide Technology Advisory Board to help guide EMC and our partners forward as the industry transitions to a private cloud model.
Some vendors use market muscle to accelerate these transitions. Others depend heavily on industry standards efforts to do so. But both approaches often lack an open forum where issues and tradeoffs can be debated at an appropriate level.
Ideally, you'd ask heavy hitters from across the industry to join in, evaluate the options and make specific recommendations back to the vendor community. And that's what I think we've got here.
TABs are Nothing New For EMC
Jeff Nick and his CTO Office team use Technology Advisory Boards frequently on a variety of issues. They've been helpful on such diverse topics such as iSCSI in the enterprise, cloud security, virtualization priorities and more. The dialogue during these forums can be absolutely fascinating.
All of these have been important topics in the past, but one could make a case that most everything is being subsumed into a single, multi-faceted discussion around private clouds -- cloud infrastructure that enterprises control.
And a really big topic needs a pretty special group of people to help ...
Commensurate with the topic are the credentials and influence of the initial founding members:
• Randolph Cowen – Board member, EMC; Former Chief Information Officer, Goldman Sachs
• Ian Foster – Professor and Director, Computation Institute, University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory
• Pat Gelsinger – President and Chief Operating Officer, Information Infrastructure Products, EMC; Technical Advisory Board Chairman
• Joseph M. Hellerstein – Professor of Computer Science, UC Berkeley
• Steve Herrod – Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President of R&D, VMware
• Rod Johnson – General Manager, SpringSource; Senior Vice President of Middleware, VMware
• Kai Li – Paul M. Wythes ’55, P’86 and Marcia R. Wythes P’86 Professor, Princeton University; Founder and Chief Scientist, EMC Data Domain
• Jeffrey M. Nick – Chief Technology Officer, Senior Vice President, EMC
• Steve Pawlowski – Senior Fellow, Intel Architecture Group; General Manager, Central Architecture and Planning, Intel Corporation
• Ronald L. Rivest -- Viterbi Professor of Computer Science, MIT EECS Department
Their inaugural meeting will be at EMC World this week.
And I can't wait to hear what they come up with :-)